Fast writing is not important only for writers who write for money and have deadlines which are hard to follow. It is something which helps in staying focused on the topic while writing and helps to follow a flow of the text. Whenever you want to improve your writing for a blog or private notes, or you are a professional writer who writes for money, fast writing is surely one of the skills that every writer should improve.
- Capability to write for very short time does not start or improve when writing starts. It is a skill that could be learned and improved over time even before or between writings. So, if you want to be a fast writing guru you should think about writing every day, as a talent which is your main advantage.
- Say yourself that you are the best writer and you are a creative person. Writers sometimes devalue their talent and knowledge, calling themselves “just an average writer”. Be aware of special skill you have and do not forget who you are.
- Practice writing every day – sometimes writing of 50 words daily is enough for practicing and maintenance of skill.
- Capture your ideas as they come – do not wait for the inspiration, write down every sentence, phrase or idea when it comes. Writers usually carry with them a pencil and a small notebook.
- Write longhand whenever you can, that improves your writing and clears the mind for new ideas, providing time for thinking. Choose a good pencil.
- Do not expect too much from yourself, especially from the beginning, but train and practice every day. Be realistic, you will not be able to write many pages and fast as professionals so set your time and schedule honestly. Keep in mind that fast writing is a skill that should be learned slowly. As the matter of fact, you do not need to be a professional or a genius at first. Readers would have more confidence in a normal writer who is a live person and who is not perfect as they are not either.
- Research every day, not only when a new task comes, it especially applies for copywriters who work in particular niche. It is great if you have knowledge about the specific topic so every time when a new task comes you will be able to write “from your head” first.
- When a new task comes do not jump on writing immediately. Firstly write from your head relying on researching you have done before. Those first naturally written ideas and knowledge you have is the result of the experience and base of information which is the treasure you have in head. After that, you can thoroughly research the topic.
Now, when you are prepared for writing, it should become more self- confident, thus faster. But before that, take in mind few useful tips:
- Turn out your grammar checker in Word and do not edit every word you write. That applies on the checker in your head, too. Stop think about every sentence you write and write naturally, as ideas come.
- Try to write under pressure – with full blather, for example. Even though that could be unhealthy, it could be a great incentive for faster writing. However, use this technique only when it is needed.
- Improve fast typing and practice it daily.
- Firstly organize your ideas trough paragraphs and headlines and then fulfill them. That will help you to stay focused on the main idea without losing time on thinking what to say next.
- Write while you are groggy, and edit when you are rest. That will allow writing as ideas come without thinking about them and polishing the text when your mind is clear.
- Do not leave lousy drafts; finish your text every time before the break. Next time you will not start from the beginning, but from improving and editing your text, which saves time.
- Avoid one of the worst things in writing – rabbit holes. That is when writer during writing a text could not evoke a fitting information, word or phrase. At that moment writers usually lost time looking for the word in dictionary or information they wrote in a notebook before. In order to avoid that obstacle use abbreviation “TK” which means “to come” as a mark on the side of the sentence you stopped due to the “rabbit hole”. You can come back to it later.
Tips For Good Writing
- Basically, writers write slowly because of distractions and procrastination, which inhibit them to focus on writing and that extends the time needed for writing. For that reason, it is always good to follow few tips and pieces of advice for better writing that every writer can adopt.
- Do not try to be a genius, just write naturally. That means that your text could be 90% good, or for B- in high school. It presents you as an average person, just like your readers, so they will accept your ideas with understanding and approval.
- Split long jobs into short tasks, so your next task will not be so difficult. Turn off your Wi-Fi and other devices while writing. One of the greatest techniques is “Pomodoro” technique, where writer sets short pieces of time for writing, for example, 25 minutes and then make a break 5 minutes long. That will help you to stay focused on the assignment, knowing that you have a time for relaxation, too.
- Forget about inspiration. Modern writers claim that inspiration is only a word, an illusion about Force Majeure which runs the writer’s hand when writing. A great writer can write whenever they want, but finding the best environment and state of mind surely helps in writing.
- Make your writing comfortable, make your own corner for writing, and play the music you love while writing (or preparing for it). Find a time of the day when you are comfortable writing, like early in the morning.
- Learn how to make a break from job and do something completely different – playing the guitar, do sports or hang with friends. Clear your mind and it will supply you with new ideas after a while. That is called a “diffuse mode” when the brain thinks about something else but subconsciously thinks about resolving the problem in writing. It will be notified when new writing session starts.
- Try to understand the benefits of your writing, as it is not your obligation, but something you want to do. Do not say “I must write”, but “I want to write” instead, so your brain will recognize that as a wish and something agreeably or even pleasant.
- Make a bridge to another day. After you finish the task for that day, open the task for the next day. Organize next researching, make headlines and find texts about next task. That will shorten the time for preparing and starting with writing the next day.